Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Personal reflections from a recent graduate

By Tyler Murphy
2009 Graduate
Admissions Advisor

Transferring to Virginia Tech was an easy transition for me. I understand that experiences are different for each individual, but if sharing my experiences helps you decide, then my decision to come to VT was one of the best decisions I made during my college career.

As a transfer student coming in from the Virginia Community College System, I was given the opportunity to take part in an on-site review option VT does throughout the state. When I found out that a VT admissions director was visiting my community college, I made an appointment with them and was told right then whether or not I was accepted. All I had to do was bring a transcript, my completed application, and non-refundable $50 application fee to the appointment.

Once I was offered admission, I participated in the summer transfer orientation day where an advisor sat down with me and helped me understand what classes would/would not transfer and what courses I still needed to take in order to graduate.

I loved the feeling I got being on campus and knowing I was a HOKIE. Regardless of the fact that I did not have the dorm experience here as a freshman, I was still able to create lifelong friendships by participating in the many different clubs and intramural sports offered to the student body. Even though my time here was shorter than those who come in as freshman, I found a home and a family here at VT.

No comments:

Post a Comment