Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Virginia Tech: Think outside of the classroom

By Erika, a junior in the College of Liberal Arts & Human Sciences
Major: sociology
Minor: psychology


In my career at Virginia Tech, I have been very active with the university as well as the community. I am President of the Sociological Association at Virginia Tech (SAV) and a Transfer Orientation Guide Leader (TOGL). Both of these positions allow me to hone my leadership and communications skills while having a good time! I have also gained great networks but best of all friends.

Although leadership positions and memberships to organizations are important, service learning and volunteerism is as well. Service learning and volunteerism are amazing learning experiences that everyone should have. I take part in the annual BIG EVENT, which is a community wide service project, which involves the students of Virginia Tech and the Blacksburg and surrounding communities.

Community outreach is significant at Virginia Tech but so is Virginia Tech's global initiatives. With all the options Virginia Tech has there should be no problem for anyone to find their place in the Hokie Family, while making great impacts in others lives as well as their own.

More Info:

No comments:

Post a Comment